Sunday, August 26, 2007

What Does God Say About That? (and other ridiculously insightful yet simple things kids say at just the right time)

Slithering like a snake along the ground isn't so bad if you're 3. Unless the room in which you are slithering happens to be the bathroom...

"Nathan, get up", I barked unceremoniously.


"Why, Dad?"


"Because it's not good for you to crawl around on the bathroom floor and it might make you sick sometime"


"But I don't like it when you tell me no, Dad"


"But I have to tell you when things are right and wrong or good or bad so you'll grow up good"


"HMMM... WHAT DOES GOD SAY ABOUT THAT DAD???"



How do you answer a 3 year old slithery snake who is asking about the theological realities of passing on the faith from Father to Son and the moral and religious formation of a young life?


"God talks to us through the Bible, and the Bible says I need to keep you safe and help you to grow up good. So, you need to listen when I say no."


"Okay", he said.


I was in disbelief that I got away that easily... Then I became intrigued...


"What made you ask about what God thinks, Nate? Where did you learn that?"


"I don't know", he said, "God lives in my heart though." I almost fell over, so I sat down on the edge of the tub instead. I beckoned Nate to come closer, and I wrapped my arms around him and drew his head into my chest.


"That's right, Nate, God DOES live in your heart..."


www.lifesongchristiancommunities.org

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This conversation reminds me of many I had with a little boy over thirty years ago. His faith was so pure and strong that I was humbled by him daily. My memories of those conversations are treasures locked deep within my heart and bring me joy and peace when I recall them.

Mum